How to Reduce Plastic Waste at Home

by Kendall Haechten

Plastic waste is becoming a problem not just in the US, but across the world. Only about 9% of plastic actually gets recycled while the other 91% ends up is landfills where some of it even makes it into our oceans. That's the bad news. The good news is there's something we can do about it!

how-to-reduce-plastic-waste-in-your-home

We have access to more plastic swaps today than ever before. From reusable ziplock bags to refillable soap dispensers and bulk soap refills, there are so many things you can do within your home to reduce plastic waste in your home.

How to Cut Down on Plastic Waste in Your Home

Refillable Soap Dispensers and Bulk Soap Refills

A great way to cut down on a significant amount of plastic waste in your home is by switching to refillable soap dispensers and choosing bulk soap refills. The best bulk soap refills to choose are those that 1) will allow you to fill your kitchen or bathroom soap dispenser more than once and 2) are packaged in a recyclable pouch or bottle. Look for soap refills packaged in aluminum bottles or pouches.

Switch to Reusable Sandwich and Snack Bags

I don't know about you, but as a kid, our family went through so many plastic sandwich bags a week. We had 3 kids in our home and nearly every item of our lunches was packed in a plastic sandwich or snack bag. Today, there are lots of reusable options to choose from like these from Stasher.

Use Dryer Balls

Another easy way to reduce plastic waste is by ditching your big and clunky plastic fabric softener containers and switching to wool dryer balls. In addition to eliminating plastic packaging, wool dryer balls actually dry your laundry faster which allows your dryer to consume less energy!

Choose a Reusable Water Bottle

This is something most people have already done, but it's still an important point to make. Not only does a reusable water bottle help you stay hydrated, but it is one of the easiest ways to cut down on your personal plastic waste consumption.

Beeswax Wrap Instead of Plastic Wrap

Beeswax wrap is a great alternative to the traditional plastic wrap used to cover bowls and wrap food in. Beeswax wrap can last up to a year and is compostable!

As you can see, there are many ways to reduce plastic waste in your home. You can make easy and sustainable swaps for every day home items such as soap dispensers, sandwich bags, dryer balls, and water bottles. By making these simple plastic swaps, you can help reduce plastic waste in your community!


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.